By Jane (Pui Wah) Chan, Acupuncturist
What to expect on your first visits?
Generally at your first Fertility Acupuncture visit, we will get a thorough understanding of your health conditions through asking a comprehensive list of questions related to your health concern such as the nature of your illness, medical history, lifestyle and diet etc. During Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)/Acupuncture diagnostic techniques such as pulse palpating, face and tongue observation will also be used.
I may recommend you to undergo a therapy plan with several courses of treatment pertaining for your conditions. Herbal medicine is often applied for fertility and chronic disorders.
Can complementary therapies support fertility?
Many people use complementary or alternative therapies to improve their overall physical and emotional health. This could includes herbal, vitamin, mineral, nutritional and other supplements and therapies such as Chinese Herbal Medicine and Acupuncture.
Improve your general health is clearly beneficial for people who are experiencing fertility issues.
Some of the key benefits of acupuncture during IVF/IUI/Fertility Cycles are:
- Stress reduction – calming of the sympathetic nervous system
- Improved blood flow to ovaries and uterus
- Improved pregnancy rates when combining IVF with acupuncture
- Improved egg quality when starting acupuncture in advance of the IVF
- Early pregnancy support to reduce miscarriage rates
- Reduced side effects from IVF medications
- Improvement of the uterine lining
Acupuncture can be pain free, some people do experience small amount of pain which they describe as ant bite sensation.
Does Acupuncture hurt?
How long is the Acupuncture session?Usually for an initial consultation including treatment, it takes approximately 45 minutes, where as subsequent treatments generally are around 30 minutes.
How should you prepare for the treatment sessions?
- Make sure you have something light an hour before the treatment and do not consume any alcoholic or caffeinated beverages.
(Receiving Acupuncture treatment on an empty stomach may cause dizziness after the treatment)
- Wear comfortable clothes
- Do not participate in heavy exercises right before the appointment
To book an appointment, please see below: