Nervous to start exercising? Start with the basics
How do I get started?
- Start small – you can start with 10mins. daily. Any activity is better than no activity!
- Make it a habit – make it a habit to set aside time, to prioritise exercise and your health!
- Work up to it – get started and see what works for you, if you find that you can dedicate more time in a day, do it. But remember to make sure it is manageable and is something that you can be consistent with. You will never see changes overnight, consistency is key.
- Listen to your body – If you are ill, if you are in pain or just really run down, it is ok to take a break. In fact, it is good practice to take a break when you need it. The goal is to get back into your routine as soon as possible. If you are in pain, consider doing alternative exercises that will not flare you up. If you are finding it difficult to think of alternatives, give us a call and one of our physios or exercise physiologist can help you out with that!
- Manage your expectations – Set achievable goals for yourself and reward yourself when you achieve them. Do not expect it to be easy or to get fit overnight. Fitness and health is not a quick overnight fix, consistency is key.
What are the recommendations for exercise?
For strength/resistance training: aim to target major muscle groups 2/week. If you want some exercise ideas, head on over to our Instagram to watch all sorts of videos with tips and tricks to help you on your fitness journey. Make it more challenging by adding weights or using resistance bands!
For aerobic activity: aim to get more than 150 minutes of moderate activity/week or 75 minutes of vigorous activity/week.
An easy way to measure activity intensity:
- Low = you can belt out your favourite song
- Moderate = you can hold a proper conversation
- Vigorous = you are trying to catch your breath
How do I work up to the recommendations?
The simple answer is to make it work for you.
Exercise is not one size fits all. Not everyone likes the same sort or style of exercise. Choose one that you enjoy and have fun with it! Pick activities that fit your lifestyle and stick to it!
If you know you do not like to exercise alone such as resistance training, join a class or a group. Make it social! When where you workout with friends it makes the experience more fun, and it will keep you motivated.
If you want to try a group exercise class with our team, send us an email or give us a call at 8599 9811 to find out when we are doing our next F45 class. Or, if running is more your thing, check out our Run the Streets (Barangaroo) run club, who go for group runs every Monday at 12:15.